Jala Neti is one of the refined technique of Shatkarma Yoga for cleansing the nasal passage by saline water. Yogis have practiced it for centuries for its innumerable and powerful benefits. It is also called Neti or Saline Nasal Irrigation.
By Jala Neti process it easily removes all the dirt and bacteria inside the nasal. It is an ancient yogic refine technique so that it is more relevant and helpful in our modern times, where air pollution and airborne pathogens are become increasing to health risk factors. By practicing Jala Neti process you could breathe very clearly and freely, thus increasing your quality of life.
HOW TO DO JALA NETI KRIYA?
when you will do Jala Neti kriya, you need one neti pot, salt and warm water.
A special JALA NETI POT (as shown in the picture) is used.
Heat filtered or bottled water (about 500 ml) to the point of boiling.
Add a teaspoon of salt and stir.
Let the water get too warm enough temperature which can be poured in the nose without causing a burning sensation. Incline your head and insert the nozzle of the neti pot into the nostril opposite. Without force, take breaths through your mouth by keeping it partially open. Incline the neti pot until the water starts coming out of the other nostril by gravity. This procedure is then alternated with the other nostril.
After the Jala Neti process, to dry your nostrils, as there are chances to be caught by a cold.
Why? Because after doing Jala Neti there is still some water left inside your nostrils.
To dry your nostrils, stand in the same position as while doing Jala Neti. Now blow the air out with force through your nose (mouth closed) like you in Kapalabhati Pranayama. And after that, it is recommended to do shashankasana (child pose). Because it will help you to take out water completely out from your nostrils (if still there’s some water left in your nostrils).
- If the nose is blocked with cold or chronic bleeding or any type of infection, any cut or hurt inside the nose, then avoid this process.
- They should first clear nose by Kapalbhati Pranayam and then practice Jala Neti.
- Avoid practicing it at night times. Always do it when the sun is shining preferably early in the morning with empty stomach.
Jala Neti Kriya Benefits :
- It is helpful for illnesses like bronchitis and asthma as it reduces the tendency to breathe from the mouth by cleaning the mucus from the nostril.
- Neti helps to re-program the body’s natural mechanisms against respiratory complaints including sore throats, coughs, postnasal drips etc.
- It is effective for certain kinds of ear disorders like tinnitus, glue ear, and middle ear infections.
- If you practice advanced stages of Neti, it works wonders for throat infections. It helps to re-program the body’s natural mechanisms against respiratory complaints including sore throats and coughs.
- It motivates better powers of visualization and concentration and gives a feeling of lightness and clarity to the mind.
- It has a soothing effect on the brain, so it gives relief from headaches, migraine, depression, mental tensions and even epilepsy, hysteria and temper tantrums.
- On the toughest level, it’s terribly effective for meditation because it works on the unostentatious effects of the neural structure, and also the psychic center, that is thought because of the Ajna Chakra in yoga.
- It helps to cures snoring during sleep.
- It is natural and has no side effects.